Friday, October 07, 2005

bias pisses me off

Over the years my family here has become increasingly pro-Palestinian. We don't think that Israel should be destroyed or anything but we definitely hold views that greatly differ from many Americans. Today I realized how blind and biased people on both sides of the issue can be. I was talking to an Arab friend(of Palestinian descent) and we got on the topic of Palestine. I was surprised at how strong her views were about the issue... To her the Israelis were all in the wrong and the Palestinians only participated in terrorist attacks because they were provoked... i.e. they had no other choice. On the other end of the spectrum I was reading some articles online today about the Israeli-Palestinian debate. Wow. These well written articles(these people are not stupid, just extremely biased) made claims that the Palestinians weren't even a proper people group, that they only exist to destroy Israel and that everything is the Arabs fault. Unbelievable. I am continually surprised by how often we humans simplify complex events to justify our actions and make ourselves look good. Grr.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the first step is for people to condemn the terrorism by both sides.

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree.... i hate the bias, i hate the terrorism. the world today is just senseless with all the violence and nobody condemning all the violence -- they only condemn the side they disagree with. i'm glad some of us are of this opinion...

4:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home