Saturday, December 10, 2005

Cultural Sensitivity

Since we live in the Middle East, my dad has long been an advocate for cultural sensitivity. As you can see below, not even my family is safe from his tirades.

My aunt sent out an email with this picture of her pregant dog.

My dad, realized the result of these kind of pictures might lead to the following appearing when he tries to sign in to hotmail:(click on the picture to up-size it)


He replied with the following:

It is THIS kind of photo that makes it tough for those of us who live in a conservative theocratic state to even HAVE e-mail! In the future, PLEASE show some cultural sensitivity and discretion.

(see Ministry of Cultural Affairs approved image enhancement)
ever looking over my shoulder,
rob



As you can see my father is dedicated to ensuring that we adhere to the Ministry of Cultural Affairs' rules and always try to be consistent with the "religious, cultural, political and moral values of the United Arab Emirates."

3 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

That second picture of the dog is still really hot!

I'd also like to say that I can understand what you're going through with your grandmother. My grandmother died recently as well. May you find joy in the lives she has touched. May you find peace in what you have learned from her life.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Martian Anthropologist said...

Thanks for your well-thought out comments on my blog recently. There's too little of that at times, especially when it comes to political stuff.

2:42 AM  
Blogger samb said...

Tim - Thanks, I appreciate that. I am discovering that I don't remember her for her accomplishments or hoe much money she made. It's funny how many people spend their whole lives trying to get more money and higher status... when that's not even what their loved ones will remember them for.

Martian - Thanks for the compliment. Living in the Middle East has forced me to see that politics aren't as simple as the news makes it... It seems like no one is ever really right.

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home