Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Off to India

Well, in about 6 hours we are off to India. Yesterday my brother and I went 2 hours(both ways) in a bus to get our visas, only to find out we came at the wrong time(thanks dad). So guess who(me) had to wake up early today to go get our visas. Anyways, it was mostly uneventful on what my friend Samantha calls "the chicken bus" but I did meet some Scottish dude who I had talked to like once five years ago.

We are basically bringing Christmas to some kids at an orphanage in Chennai(Madras), India. Some of our friends run an orphanage for streetchildren so we will be spending our Christmas there... I've been looking forward to this for months.

Although I don't think we will have a huge impact, this trip is very important. My parents plan on starting an NGO in about 5 years time which will hook up Christian organizations overseas(e.g. orphanages, hospitals, clinics etc...) with funds and people from the West who can help them out... It looks like they want to do everything from basic fund-raising to getting people in to help these guys develop a good business plan. This trip kind of represents the beginning of this NGO and will hopefully prove to be a good omen(and provide some good contacts... If I've learned one thing from living here it is that who you know is definitely important.)

I must pack... got to go!. Be back in a week with pictures and stories.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

Did you ever come back from India, or did monkeys kidnap you? As your cousin I deserve to know.

3:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home